Joe Bike has built up more Wolverines than any bike shop in the world, so throw us your ideas; we've probably already done it.
There are now three fork options for the Wolverine, so we're now selling the frame separately from the fork. See Related Items.
The original inspiration for the Wolverine was "monster cross", but it is seriously so much more. Its geometry is stable enough for off road touring, but sporty enough for all-around adventure. With its Tange/IRD Sliding Dropouts, you can turn it into a single-speed CX bike. With a split seatstay, it is compatible with the Gates Carbon Belt Drive.
- Clearance for 700x45c tires w/fenders (applies to rear only--fork clearance depends on Wolverine fork and ranges from about 44mm max tire width for the carbon fork, to 44-45mm for the thru-axle steel fork, and about 51mm for the quick-release steel fork).
-700c or 650b compatible
- Rear hub spacing: 135mm
- Gates Carbon belt-drive compatible
- Rohloff compatible, and now Rohloff/Gates approved!
The Wolverine can be built up any way you like, such as with a belt and internal gearing or a conventional drivetrain. Skinny tires, 650b,.singlespeed, internally geared, or conventional derailleur and chain. Drop bars or flat.
This is the updated V 2 frame, which features a seatstay splitter (to get the belt in the frame), whereas in the original frame the split was at the dropout. The V2 offers Rohloff+Gates compatibility, whereas the older frame allowed either/or but not both.
We're offering our own Wolverine complete builds optimized for city, gravel, or touring. We call them the Daily Grinder, the Gravelo, and the Weltgrinder Rohloff, respectively.
Note that this frame will need to be prepped (faced, chased, T-9 sprayed, etc.). We charge $70 to prep frames bought from us (and $105 for frames not bought from us).
- How does One Install a belt on the Second Generation (V2) of the Soma Wolverine Frame?
- This version of the Wolverine Soma Frame (V2) comes with what's called a Split Seatstay Design. This allows you to easily install / replace a Gates Belt by unbolting the right seatstay and then sliding the belt through the gap. (see detail pic below)
- What are the best style of Brakes to use with the Soma Wolverine?
- The best option are brakes that have 160mm rotors (for great stopping power) and that fit international standard mounts that are specced on the Wolverine.
- I want to build up the Wolverine, wwhat are the specs I need in order to get the right components?
- Front derailleur clamp: 28.6mm
Rear hub spacing: 135mm
Seat Collar: 29.8mm to 30mm (NOT INCLUDED W FRAME)
Headset: 1-1/8" external cup (SHIS: EC34/28.6 | EC34/30)
Bottom Bracket Shell: 68mm wide, English Threaded
Brake Compatibility: 160mm rotors, International Standard Disc mounts
Chainstay length range: 425-440mm (Soma Fabrications strongly recommend you avoid placing wheel in the Very back of dropout- bad things happen)
Water bottle bosses: 2 sets of mounts
- What is the recommended Carbon Drive Setup for the Soma Wolverine
- For the Alfine 8 spd hub, we recommend 46t front, 24t rear, and 115 length belt, with the dropout set at 440mm from the center of the BB axle. We recommend the new Center-Track system. Please note: Shimano Alfine Di2 does not fit on the Wolverine due to the Di2's Belt line is not compatible with the Soma Wolverine.
For the Rohloff hubs (compatible with this Split-seatstay design): For a gravel Grinder setup we love setting it up with a 55t in Front x 19t in back with a 115 Belt; 440.19 chainstay setting is a great starting point. For touring or adventure /trail use, use a smaller front ring.
For Single Speed setups: 46t in front x 26t in back x 115 belt and set the chainstay to 435.19mm
We strongly recommend you use the Gates Drive Calculator to figure out your gearing - it is a real help. We recommend starting with 430mm as a chainstay length. This will help you get a useful belt length when you plug in your preferred front and rear rings into the tool.
|Frame||Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo front triangle; butted CrMo rear end|
|Fork||Tange Infinity CrMo Steel|
|Hubs||Rear hub spacing:135mm|
|Pumpkin Orange / Prep the frame (facing, chasing, T-9 spraying) / 56cm|
|Pumpkin Orange / Don't prep the frame / 56cm||wolverinef56o|
|Black / Prep the frame (facing, chasing, T-9 spraying) / 50cm|
|Black / Prep the frame (facing, chasing, T-9 spraying) / 52cm|
|Black / Prep the frame (facing, chasing, T-9 spraying) / 60cm|