Cyclocross is all about working with the earth and the elements, though it’s often confused with working against the earth and the elements. Either way, there is no purer form of cyclocross racing than on a single speed bike. Within that purity lies simplicity. You will probably need to try it to really understand. We suggest you try it on the Spot Mod Disc.
Generally we write our own copy about the bikes we carry, but Spot’s description is apt, so we’ll show it below. First, the basic facts: The frame is made by Spot in Colorado from True Temper OX Platinum steel, which is the tubing you’ll find on many of the best steel race bikes made today. The Gates Carbon Drive CenterTrack components are also made in Colorado. With the single-speed build kit and Avid BB7′s, it weighs in at about 18.5 lbs. without pedals. (To get it under 18 lbs., use the new BB7 Road SL.)
- Gates CenterTrack:
- Next generation Carbon Drive System. Unique, super-strong, carbon-reinforced polyurethane system that requires no lube and provides a nearly silent ride. CenterTrack is stronger, lighter, more compact, and better at shedding debris than the prior Gates systems.
- Cyclocross-Specific Geometry: Aggressive race-proven setup provides a perfect balance of power and handling
- True Temper OX Platinum:OX Platinum is a proprietary superthermophillic (heat-loving) alloy, developed in partnership with the U.S. Steel Alliance. The composition of Chromium, Molybdenum, and Vanadium with an unprecedented 217 ksi ultimate tensile strength makes this alloy actually gain strength through a metallurgical transformation in the heat-affected zone as a result of welding or brazing. OX Platinum is highly temper-resistant, resulting in an 11% increase in fatigue life and a 20% increase in impact strength over the competition. The increased mechanical properties of OX Platinum allow for incredibly strong, yet lightweight frame designs with that legendary feel of steel ride quality.
- Dropout Compatibility: Patent-pending Kobe Slider Dropouts allow belt-driven or chain-driven or geared configurations.
Spot has rethought the way a vertical slider-style dropout should come together (literally). Not only does it allow both belt-driven and chain-driven single-speed configurations, it also gives you the option to add a derailleur and “gear up.” The unique compact system also gives you the ability to remove and replace the rear wheel without having to adjust belt tension. Add a redesigned super-strong frame connection to the mix and the Spot rear dropout system is the strongest, safest, least fussy and most versatile you’ll find anywhere.
- Disc Brake Equipped: Great brakes help you fly! Post mounts on both the Spot carbon fork and the Kobe sliders.
Frame only: $1399
Spot carbon disc cx fork: $379
Built up as belt-drive single-speed: $3399
Other builds (chain/derailleur, belt/internally geared hub) are available, and we can help you with any custom build.
For specs, sizing, and etc., please visit Spot’s Mod page and then come back.