Greetings! If you’re here, you’re probably about to embark to what is essentially a whole new, and very old, way of interacting with your environs. And this will change your life. And you will most likely blog about it. BUT…We’re revising and rewriting our guide to the various forms of cargo bikes and their relative merits, all to reflect new bikes on the market, new technologies, our own trials/tribulations/triumphs, and the growing cargo savvy of our audience. In other words, most of the Text is down at the moment. Til we’re ready to roll out a new page, here’s a bare bones list of the cargo bikes that we carry. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- Civia Halsted, a cycletruck that does most of what full-size cargbikes do, but on a more approachable and compact scale.
- Surly Big Dummy: Highly stable up to about 100 lbs. of cargo on the back.
- Sun Atlas Cargo: Similar to the Big Dummy but heavier and much less expensive.
- Yuba Boda Boda: A compact longtail, or midtail, that can handle 220 lbs. plus the pilot, yet weighs only about 35 lbs. Its two models accommodate riders under 5 feet tall to well past 6 feet tall.
- Yuba Mundo: The champ. The longtail of choice for stable riding with heavy loads: stable and serene past 200 lbs. on the back; frame rated for 440 lbs. of cargo plus rider. The more you use it and the more thoroughly you use it, the more it distinguishes itself among the pack. That’s why the Mundo is the only cargo bike personally owned by Joe Bike staff. In fact, the ratio of staff-owned Mundos to staff is 1.5 to 1! (Disclaimer: these facts have biased us toward the Mundo. And we’re the world’s largest Yuba dealer.)
- Surly Troll: One of the most versatile bikes made. A lightweight yet superstrong tractor with a built-in hitch for Surly’s new Bill and Ted long and short trailers.
- Buddy Bike: A unique kind of tandem in which an adult rides closely behind a child. These bikes allow special-needs kids to enjoy the thrill of actively riding a bike. Great for kids in general, actually. In fact, two adults can ride it as a date bike; the maximum height for the front (shorter) rider is about 5’10″.
- Framesets (Mundo, Big Dummy, Troll, Halsted)